When applying for a job you are likely to be up against a high number of applicants, so you need to make sure your application makes an impression and stands out from everyone else. The covering letter will catch the employers eye and puts flesh on the bones of the CV. The letter should not just say what is on your CV but should highlight certain aspects of your ability that will entice the employer to read your CV!
- It should be no longer than 1 page (4 or 5 paragraphs maximum)
- Include your contact details
- Make sure grammar and spelling are perfect
- Use a professional tone
- Reference the role you are applying to
WHAT TO INCLUDE
- Always be positive and emphasise why you are the right person for the job.
- Give a summary of your skills and experience, but keep it brief and to the point
- Let them know when you are available for an interview
- Include your contact number and email
- Let them know how you heard about the role
- Outline why you are interested in the role
- End with your availability